Irish Lake Quilter

......snippets and quilts, family, pets and friends....

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The daffodils and the irises are just beginning to poke their tips through the ground today. The 70* that we had yesterday was just enough to coax them up, out and toward the sunshine. However, the 20* tonight might make them curl up and go back into the ground. I added an early spring picture looking down our street - not yet this year but hopefully, we will have all that green in a few weeks! This is truly a lovely time of year - rejuvenation by being outside and rejoicing in all that grows!


It has been sort of a busy week, but mostly just messy. Jim has been retro-fitting the kitchen and family room (all one big room) with ceiling/can lights. Shudda had them put in when we built! But he, being the ever-so-kind hubby, agreed to humor me and is working hard at doing a rather difficult job. It will make the room much brighter for these old eyes. My penance is all the dry wall dust everywhere!! To avoid this nasty mess, I went off to work on a few things in my sewing room. The rail fence, made with Holly Taylor's Cub Lake scraps (10 years+ old) has been in the works for a year or so. It just happens that this week was one where I needed some mindless work and it filled the need. I may add a small border and then will definitely do a scrappy binding. This will go to the lake cottage for snuggling on chilly nights.


Evenings bring sitting in front of the TV and applique for me. The swag at the left is one of 18 that I am working on to add to the pink and green blocks that were posted earlier. They have been working up rather quickly. It would greatly please me if they all fit with no fudging!! I am half way through this part and then will add them to the border pieces.

Next week brings more mess to the house. Our wood floors were lightly sanded 3 years ago. The finisher wasn't quite honest and put a poly finish over a glitza (oil) finish and it started to peel within a year. Last summer we had them completely sanded to the bare wood, restained and varnished. A special solution was given to me for washing the floors. However, it leaves a horrible film and the floors look pretty dreary. They also did not have the sheen as promised by the 2nd finisher. So....next week we will completely empty the remains of my sewing items in the laundry room, the w/d, two pantries, kitchen, dining room, foyer and all the closets and place it all in the family room or in the garage. We've packed up and moved from the first floor of our home 3 times in 3 years! ARGH!! They will again screen buff and recoat the floors at no cost to us, at least $$-wise. Dust will reign until we can get everything back into place and cleaned up. Returning the furniture can't take place until a few days after the coating is put on. And....I will return to using my old standby, Shaklee Basic H, for cleaning the wood floors as it never leaves a film. Our son is moving the following weekend and then it is time for Easter. I think I'll play like a bunny and hop off into the woods!! :>) All these projects do keep one moving and the dust can't settle for long when we are busy.

For those of you with the daffodils blooming and for those who are only dreaming of them, I hope you all have a wonderful Spring-y, daffodilly kind of day!



5 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Your projects at hand sound exhausting, I understand the prospects of sheetrock and floor-sanding dust. Oh, my all that moving of things back and forth. Grr... I'm not familiar wit he the Shaklee products, I use Bona Hardwood floor cleaner to mop with and it's never left a film or residue. I have used others with unsatisfactory results, though; it can be so frustrating! Your rail fence is very pretty!

Paula, the quilter said...

I made note of both of these products as we are installing hardwood floors this summer (when the weather is nicer and in Colorado it doesn't rain). Thanks.

Libby said...

A lot of work, but think how lovely your home will be when it's all done. Hang in there until then *s*

Nicole & Phil said...

no daffodils for us yet...but lots of crocus and even some tulips!
I love watching all the bulbs bloom.
the rail fence is looking great too....great colours!

Carolyn said...

My daffodils are sending shoots out of the ground...I hope our 4 inches of ice doesn't send them back into hiding! With all the construction/refinishing, it's too bad you can't head to the lake and return when it's done! You'll get through it, just keep appliqueing! :o)